Thursday, October 18, 2007

Sleep now in the fire

Aye. Yup. Nothing like listening to music full blast. Well, with the headphones dangling from the neck of my sweater that is. No way would I listen to music full blast in my ears. Never. Again. Even if it is Rage Against the Machine. Never. Again. When I did that last year, and I did it quite a bit, I had problems hearing for a while. Now, every thing's fine or so I hope it is.
During my Politics class today -the usual boring politics class with a boring and non-stop talker as a teacher- I couldn't help but think about Rage Against the Machine. No, there was a point for the band to be circling my mind either than there amazing songs, in my opinion. My politics teacher was talking to us about brainwashing and how it was used in communist countries, such as Russian. I couldn't help but think about Rage Against the Machine's song called "Vietnow," which goes along like this;

Turn it off, turn on tha radio, nah fuck it turn it off
Fear is your only God on the radio
Nah fuck it, your saviour's my guillotine, crosses and kerosene

Merge on tha networks, slangin' nerve gas
Up jump tha boogie then bang, let 'em hang
While tha paraniod try ta stuff tha void
Let's capture this AM mayhem
Undressed, and blessed by tha Lord


It was known that during the communist regime in russia, and other countries under the same government, would use the radio to brainwash those listening. That is the AM radio. Radio, one of todays strongest influence, was used as a propaganda tool.
I also couldn't help but think about another Rage Against the Machine song titled "Bullet in the head," which talks about being brainwashed. This song goes a little like this;

This time the bullet cold rocked ya
A yellow ribbon instead of a swastika
Nothin' proper about ya propaganda
Fools follow rules when the set commands ya
Said it was blue
When the blood was red
That's how ya got a bullet blasted through ya head

Blasted through ya head
Blasted through ya head


It also includes Rage's famous chorus;

Just victims of the in-house drive-by
They say jump, you say how high
Just victims of the in-house drive-by
They say jump, you say how high


I have great respect for Rage Against the Machine, and especially their lead singer Zach de la Rocha. Unfortunately, they split up seven years ago. Nonetheless, they began touring last March.

No comments: