Wednesday, May 30, 2007

More hitz, more hitz and more hitz.....

The first period of the Stanley cup finals between Ottawa Senators and Anaheim Ducks has come to an end. It has been an intensive and electrifying, if I may add, period to begin game two out of a possible seven game series. In case you do not know, I am a Boston Bruins fan, however, I am also a Ottawa Senators fan -pretty damn close to my second favorite team, the Calgary Flames. I have followed Ray Emery, the Senator's goaltender, ever since he stepped on the NHL rink. I have payed close attention to his game and his development, thus I am a Ray Emery fan. Huge fan. I will not hide my disgust about the day that Ottawa signed Martin Gerber - for about 3+ million a year (how many years? I am uncertain). I was distraught because I believed that Ray Emery was Ottawa's true number one goaltender after proving his game throughout last year's [2006] playoffs. He was brilliant, however, he lacked experience. Nonetheless, he has been nothing but steady and, once again, brilliant this season and in these playoffs.
The first period of the second game this series began with a blitzkrieg of pucks fired towards Ray Emery. Fortunately, he saved every one of them (12 saves). Emery splashed and sprawled all over his crease to prevent the Ducks from scoring. However, Emery was lucky that the Ducks hit approximately four posts during their outburst in the period. There were childish penalties taken by both team - one that could have been crucial for Anaheim, when Scott Thornton and Chris Pronger were called to the penalty box, giving the Senators a much needed 5 on 3 power play aka: PP). This 5 on 3 power play left me jaw-dropped and speechless. The amount of scoring chances by the Senators were impossible to count (ok! maybe it was countable, but who's counting? WHO!?). Giguere, who hasn't been active until this PP (with eight minutes left in the period), pulled some rabbits out of his ass, yet there was no surprise seeing them happen. I cannot describe the scoring chances the Senators had within this power PP without shedding some tears. Mike Comrie missing an empty net. Alfredsson saved point blank. Heatley robbed with Giguere five feet away from the net. And it goes on and on.
As the countdown is taking place, the second period will begin. One other thing to add, besides the countless hits taken throughout the period (no surprise!), Ottawa's first line Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson has been too quiet. Way too quiet.

No comments: