Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Motorcycle Diaries; Notes on a Latin American Journey

On June 14, 1928 a heroic figure was born. He was given the name Ernesto Guevara, however, he would late be known - by the mid 1950s- as "Che," a term used to call people from Argentina. Before he ventured off to South America -traveling throughout Chile, Bovilia, Lima, Bogota and so much more- he studied to become a doctor, while working as an engineer. Throughout his adventure to South America, with his friend Alberto Granado, Che discovered the misery planted on thousands of faces.
"These people who watch us walk through the streets of the town are a defeated race. Their stares are tame, almost fearful, and completely indifferent to the outside world. Some give the impression they go on living only because it's a habit they cannot shake (Guevara, p.24).


I have only begun reading this fascinating diary written by Ernesto Guevara himself. I have heard of this man long ago, but never obtained the motivation to read about him. In fact, I did not know much about him until I began listening to Rage Against the Machine. By listening to Rage Against the Machine I learned many things, such as the Zapatas and at the same time being informed about Ernesto "Che" Guevara. I bought this diary today and began reading it immediately. Even though I still have to read "Othello," in which I am half way through, my attention was focused on "Che."

I Shall post my thoughts about what I have read in "Che's" diary everyday. It is a short diary, some 180 pages, therefore, once I am finished I will read about the Zapatas and the Mexican revolution.


Guevara, Ernesto. The Motorcycle Diaries: Notes on a Latin American Journey. Ocean Press; New York, 2004.

No comments: