Sunday, February 3, 2008

Day X: More Che, more Che and some more Che. Che Che Che.

I do not know how many days I have spent on preparing, reading and organizing my "Che" project. Though I can tell you that it isn't much. Sadly, I have not done as much as I intended to do. A little over a week left until my lecture in front of 51 students studying the same program. As I stated before, I am a little nervous and why should I not be? I have started to read articles again, but now I notice that there are a shit load of books to look through. There are days that the workload does not seem much - I feel that I can get through it in a day or less - and there are days when I just stare at the seven books and a dozen articles from the internet.
This lecture, so to speak, means a lot to me - I must present it perfectly. I know, that I may sound somewhat nuts and a little too obsessive over this, but it just means so much to me to get it out right. I am not trying to convert anybody into believing that Che is the greatest leader or that everything he did was justifiable because it is not. Some may argue he was a disgusting human being because he slaughtered people without giving them a trial. However, these were men who worked for the self-centered Dictatorship of Cuba, Fulgencio Batista. Those who do not know who Fulgencio Batista was would not understand why Che slaughtered the men who did favor Batista's ideas and actions. Batista, who was a sergeant, took over Cuba by implementing a coup d'etat in the mid 1930s; this would be called "The Revolt of the Sergeants." Batista favored the rich and had close ties to the Americans, who only cared about increasing their own wealth. The Cuban army's capacity would increase from 8'000 men to 20'000 men, as well as occupying one quarter of Cuba's economy. Whoever had ties with Batista (rich Cuban citizens, mobs, Americans and so on) lived a wealthy life, but those who worked as farmers (producing a good chunk of Cuba's good's, if any), sailors, tailors and so on, lived poorly barely enough to live through one day. The main point of a Cuban Revolution was to overthrow Fulgencio Batista. However, that goal also drifted to creating an agrarian reform; that is taking the land from the wealthy and giving it to those who have worked for 2 years or more, but failed to make enough money. This reform would also cause some feud with the July-26 Movement rebels; these rebels were part of Fidel Castro's group in 1953 trying to overthrow Batista, but failed. There was a lot of feud going on throughout this Cuban Revolution, but dated way before.
The Americans were very upset that the Cuban Revolution succeeded and that Fidel Castro and Che had her power. Unlike most leaders in the past centuries, Che kept his word. He did become the director of the industrialization program of the National Agrarian Reform Institute (INRA) [October, 1957] and the head of the National Bank (November 1959), but he did increase the happiness and work force of the Cuban Citizens. Despite the U.S.As blockade of Cuba's exports and imports - they also tried to persuade other countries to block trading with Cuba - Che eliminated unemployment, wiped out illiteracy, while Cuba became somewhat an industrial power. There were a lot of ups and down's when Che took control of the INRA and the National Bank, but like anything you try to establish, it takes time to develop into what you intend it to be.

Anyways. Enough of Che for now. I must get back to reading, and finish everything - all info, outline, pictures and power points must be done - and by next weekend I should be practicing my presentation. Hopefully. Yes, hopefully.

No comments: