Saturday, August 1, 2009

NEW HAIR STYLE

So, I finally got what I have been wanting to try since last fall (about a year ago). Dreads. Since my hair is thin (unfortunately) there aren't many braids (yes, braids). Having braided hair, which leads up to actual dreads, is pretty new to me (duh!) and feels a little weird at first. However, after a couple of days it feels fun - the texture of the braids, the hair bouncing against your head various times, and so on. It feels fine so far. It is a style that may or may not suit everyone. The question is, will I keep it for a long time? The answer is, no. It is something I wanted to try, but I will keep it for atleast a week, probably a month. Yes, probably a month. The thing is, when I do decide to get rid of the dreads I will have to shave my head. I have never shaved my head before. Actually, maybe I'll just cut it really short so long as my hair can be seem on my head.
Process:
On to some important topics about dreads/braided hair. Right now my hair is braided and tied. For the dreads to really develop they must be waxed to keep the texture and keep it firm. It takes about two months for the dreads to gel and take it's permanent shape. I say permanent because I can't really think of a better word for it - fuck, it's the morning for everyone, but since I work the nightshift I am tired. Moving on! I bet you are asking, does this mean you won't wash yourself? *stares* For fuck's sake, of course I will take showers and wash myself. Fuck. What the...? Jesus Christ! As for the dreads, I will be cautious about them. Washing them? Yes, but not right away. I want to do it exactly right or else the braids will expand and make my hair look like a fucking disturbed nest! Got to buy the shampoo (without residue) for dreads asap!
Zack De La Rocha:
Those that know me, know that I love the political music band, Rage Against the Machine. They also know my idol is Zack De La Rocha, the lead singer of Rage Against the Machine. I will not make this topic dwell into why I respect Zack, so on and so forth. But let me make this clear, I did NOT decide to braid my hair (dreads) for the purpose of looking like him. Get that part straight. Seriously, let that sink in your head. Sure I respect Zack a lot. Sure I enjoy hearing his voice. Sure I think he is the best thing about Rage Against the Machine. However, I have always found dreads interesting to try atleast once in my life. The problem was, I was young then (early high school era), my hair never got to grow that long because I didn't want to wait more than a year, summer's would be a bitch with long hair (should I say why? I don't think so), etc. However, at my age it's easier to decide certain things or take a certain path. Life is, well, complicated, fun and other things. You must do what makes you happy or else you will sink into a world of misery and wreckage. Simple as that. I must say, it is even better listening to rock music or heart pumping music from Rage Against the Machine.
Respect:
All but one of my friend (hopefully it gets better with her) have no clue how I look (my hair of course!!!) and that I actually went through with the dreads. Should be fun witnessing their reactions. I'm not expecting them to love it or to like it, but if they choose to tell me they don't like it hopefully they do respect it. This goes for everyone. You see, people tend to judge a person based on certain features. And that is simply ridiculous. Full of shit. I have seen it before. In fact within 2 1/2 days of having these dreads I walked by an older man in downtown who looked at me and said "colisse" (wrong spelling I think!). Made me laugh for a bit, but these are reactions I will probably get. Others with dreads, or other body features will or often do get. It's not fair, but that is how people are in the world. Judging by appearance before knowing the person. Unfortunately, this doesn't always happen with people who don't know you. The key word here is respect. Hate it (my dreads in this case) or love it, bottom line is atleast respect it. It is not you who is wearing the dreads. It is not you walking around in public with them. So what if a fat guy is sitting next to you on the bus or metro. Big deal that someone is driving an old, rusted car while you have a porsche or whatnot. Respect the person. Anyways, I cannot wait to get my friends reactions and the reactions for strangers as well. In fact, my hair is a success at work. Well, my co-workers seems to like it, not mind it. One co-worker who has cornrow braids (also a lazy motherfucker) said he likes my hairs and that I look like a gangster........damn. A boss from the other shift (big guy, early 50s) saw me the first day with the new hair, stopped his lift (electronic machine to pick up skids and whatnot), looked at me, smiled and told me how he likes them and how he always wanted to get cornrow braids, but is too old. I cannot fucking picture him with cornrow braids! But if it makes him happy, then by all means he should try it out. Do what makes you happy.
Sometimes I feel that getting a certain hair style, wearing certain clothes or shoes, driving a certain car (etc), brings out the real character of people. I will see how it goes. LMAO. Bottom line (again!), be honest with me. That's all. Honesty and Respect. Different hair, same person!!
Keeping it?:
Probably mentioned it above, but when I got my hair done I was not thinking long-term. How long I keep the dreads depends on how I feel with them within the next few days or weeks. I would like to keep them for atleast a month or so. I am happy right now.

No comments: