Saturday, December 22, 2007

LOOK OUT MAN: "I am Legend review"

Friday night. A Night filled with terror and comedy just like any other night. But NO, this was a different night. How? I don't know, it just was. From the Mayans to the Britain to the Europeans to todays civilization, we have changed. Nonetheless, last night, friday night, was different. I went to see "I am Legend;" the title still baffles me, damn English. Then again, it may just be me and those ten bottles of beer. It is pretty lame and exquisite when you see the world through a drunken state of mind (oh?). I guess you, whoever you are, are waiting for me to lay down the smackdown on your candiass'.
The Review: I will be brief without spoiling anyone's fancy. The movie, overall, was well done. However, don't get this confused with an oscar winning prize or something. I do not think it will win movie of the year or best director, but Will Smith may have a shot at grabbing an oscar for best actor, that is if he is nominated. There were certain scenes that were sad, hence the whole plot of the movie. These certain scenes will not be elaborated without shedding some spoilers. However, I will say that these scenes may leave you with tears depending on how sensitive you are. Anyways, I would have liked to see a better or longer explanation of the beginning, before the virus, and after the virus took place. Don't get me wrong, the movie does dwell on these facts, but I felt that there was something missing on their execution. The end of the movie can leave some viewers dissatisfied, but viewers should not judge the entire movie on how it ends; they should judge the movie on how it develops. The movie starts with an explanation of what is going on, in other words, what caused this virus. It starts at a slow pace with little dialogue and more motion and actions. However, there are certain indications of something wrong in the world at the beginning; we see Will Smith and his dog, Sam, who are the only survivors in the outskirts of New York City; as Will Smith arrives to his home he sprays some kind of chemical on his staircase, and as night arrives, Smith's character shuts all windows with a metallic door. At this point you already know something is wrong. However, the most intensive scene arguably, is when Smith chases his dog, Sam, into a dark warehouse. There is a smooth transition of safe, alone, determination and somewhat happiness to 'there is something wrong,' dangerous, scary and ominous; this is brilliantly emphasized in Will Smith's face postures and his low and clammy voice. Overall, this movie is 4/5.
I arrived at my cousins house that night to impersonations of Elvis Pressley, Arnold Scwarzenegger and Christopher Walkin. For at least a good ten minutes I was laughing at my cousin's impersonation of Jack White as Elvis Pressley in the new movie, Dewie Cox. 'Loooooook OUT maaan," and that priceless reaction from Dewie Cox!

No comments: