Sunday, July 13, 2008

It's been a while . . . a long while

It feels dead in here. Seriously. It has been a while since I have really gotten into writing on this blog. Most of it due to the 10 day vacation. Alright, not all of the blame can be attributed to it. 20 percent? 15 percent? Alright! I have been reading more, if that interests you in any way. During my 10 day vacation I read two novels: The Shining by Stephen King and The Martian Chronicles by my present favorite author, Ray Bradbury.
I read. I read a lot. The Shining, which was 683 pages, took me 6 days to complete it. That is an average of 114 pages per day. I sometimes read 180 pages in one day and another 150 pages on another day. Nevertheless, I read the novel in 6 days. Should I get a reward? Nope. Am I asking for one? I would say yes, but i'm sure there are some nuts out there that would read a 700 page book (aprx) in a day. Bunch of nutballs. Seriously. The other book, The Martian Chronicles, a 182 page novel dwelled upon the horrors of earth and man's fascination to take over territory and Mars and dress their own values to it while destroying the present ones. A light read. Light.
On the other hand, the Shining was fucking with me. Perhaps I read too much. Yeah, that is what I keep telling myself. But the book was making me go nuts. Not angry nuts. Not psycho nuts like Jack Torrance. More of a "I see things" nuts. I was reading so much that at times certain items (couches, chairs, walls) would seem blury. I would start going nuts, thinking about what I should be doing, if I closed the door, if I shut off the stove, if I did this, if I did that. I was being a little hysterical. Now, keep in mind that I was not shouting, yelling and making sure others were aware of this. They were not. At one moment, I was so into The Shinning, that the room would become so quiet that the softest noises would creep me out.

No comments: