Monday, June 9, 2008

0-0-1

Well after their first game of Euro 2008, Italy has turned what could have been a highlight game and great result on their part to a horrendous start against Netherlands. Personally, I was expecting a tie between the two teams, however, I got more than I expected. A Netherlands win. Well, there is still about 2 minutes as I am typing this, but there is no way that Italy score 3 goals in 2 minutes. Oh well. Italy have been known for their notorious sluggish group starts. What they are mostly known for, besides their impenetrable defense (what happened today?), is their capability to step up when the game is on the line (do or die matches).
To be honest, I do not want to nor do I feel like getting into details about every single goal or every single lazy calls or missed calls for that matter. I will point out that the first Netherlands goal was way offside, like a mile. It should have never counted. Unfortunately, the linesman closed his eyes and screwed Italy on that call like italy was screwed in Korea/Japan 6 years ago (correct me if I am wrong on the date). As I already mentioned, Italy was sloppy and the Netherlands were by far the better team. What surprised me the most today was the fact that the Netherlands easily got through the Italian defense. The Netherlands made it look too easily when in reality it is not. This is the first time in 30 years that the Netherlands have defeated Italy in Euro/World Cup.
Luckily France tied to Romania 0-0. This will give Italy a slight chance to make it. As usual, nothing is over 'till it is over. However, I will not lie to you; this is not a good start for Italy.

No comments: