Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Incredible Hulk

I have just finished watching this 'gigantic' and 'monstrous' film a couple of hours ago. Ok, so my words in quotation did not get you all warm and fuzzy. Big deal. Actually it is a big deal to Bruce Banner. Yeah he told me. Now shush and continue reading if you don't want me to get hungry....I mean angry. *pauses* Oh shush you. If you would have seen the movie, then you would have understood the whole 'hungry' and 'angry' connection. Jesus, Joseph and Maria! Damn my wrist is killing me right now. As a matter a fact, my right knee was bloody killing me throughout the film. At one point I thought I would get so angry and get some adrenaline from out of nowhere and become the incredible Hulk. *pauses again* Sigh. Once again I tried to make you laugh. Once again I failed.
Alright, straight to the film. I do not want to spoil the movie for those who have yet to see it. Therefore, I will be brief and point out several things. Like the GREEN hand! I'm kidding. Please do not go tell your mom. Please? Overall the movie was decent. Yes, CGI was used an incredible amount of time, but surprisingly it was not as abused in the first film directed by Ang Lee. Boy was that horrible. Perhaps it is because I really like Edward Norton's ability to make scenes so realistic, heart warming and the ability to related with the audience, that I may be a little biased. Norton did a splendid job, but for obvious reasons he was not as fierce and bold as he was in American History X or Fight Club. Ok, I can let that pass considering this was a superhero movie, and that not every scene is supposed to be realistic.
The movie did lack in certain areas such as Elizabeth Ross' (Liv Tyler) boyfriend, who disappeared mid way in the film. He had very little screen time and just . . well . . . disappeared. Some scenes were just exaggerated; when General Ross and a good chunk of the U.S army attack Bruce Banner/Hulk in-front of a university, army tanks, helicopters came from nowhere. They just kept coming. It seemed unrealistic.
I am not an avid Hulk fan as I am an Iron Man fan (yes, I have followed Iron Man for quite some time. The movie was awesome, but not brilliant). Perhaps as an avid Hulk fan I would be more disappointed than I am (which I am not) considering the fact that I would notice the changes in plot and various story-lines that should have or should not have been included. Who knows? The point is, if you do not know the story of the Hulk (who does not?) then this movie somewhat gives you the idea. How he became the Hulk is briefly and quickly explained at the beginning without any dialogue. However, throughout the movie the various characters make reference to Bruce Banner becoming the Hulk.
Hulk grade: 8/10

No comments: