Friday, March 7, 2008

The Boss: the Review (number 15)

Sunday, March 2 2008.
Bruce "the Boss" Springsteen Concert. I had quite a bit of homework that weekend, but it's the Boss for crying out loud. Come On!!! Who does NOT like Bruce? Anyone? I don't think so? I do not understand how someone, whether he/she loves music or not, can hate Bruce Springsteen. He brings so much to his music (lyrics and energy). Anyways, I had completed most of my work before heading to the concert at 5:30pm, 2 hours before it was scheduled to start. Nervous? Fuck no! Excited? Well, what the fuck do you think? As I mentioned in my previous post [The Boss and The Boss: Review to come] it was my first concert (with 20,000+ fans) in a long long time. Actually, I do not even remember who I had gone to see so many years ago. Well, it does not matter.
I arrive at the scene: front row. Side of the stage. I was about 10-15 feet from the freaking BOSS!! Oh, did I mention that I got the ticket the day before? Sweet!
The clock strikes 7pm. The forum is half full: the 'pitt' - those standing in front of the stage - are being filled. Noise and chants of "BRRUUCCEE!" begin to make wave throughout the stage. A small tidbit if you don't mind (what the fuck do I ask? I am in control of what I write, fuck.) Bruce Springsteen tends to start 30-45 minutes later than scheduled: this is a good method to wait for the fans to fill the forum - some musicians refuse to do this. Anyways. An hour passes, now 8pm, and still no Bruce, but the chants only get louder. Bruce! Bruce! Bruce! We want Bruce! We want Bruce! And so it went on for another 10 minutes. The Boss, the legend, the icon and symbol of belief, of feeling alive, of excitement of having a great time, makes his way onto the stage at about 8:25pm. Not even wasting time, the E street Band and Bruce Springsteen rip into the Bass, the drums (ol' Max Weinberg :D ), the keyboard, the violin (played by his wife Patti) and the noise of the crowd roars even louder. The band begins to play, "Thunder Road," "Night," then "Radio nowhere," "Girls in their summer clothes," and about 20 more songs.
I managed to get quite a few pictures and videos of the Boss. A moment I will never forget (WOOO, mother fucker!). For those of you who have gone to a concert, whether it was an underground group, a major group performing in front of a huge crowd or for those who play in a band, you know the feeling of "feeling alive." That is exactly what I felt throughout the entire performance. The concert last approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes, but believe when I tell you it went by so fast. I left the concert satisfied and exhilarated, but I wanted to hear more Bruce, MORE BRUCE! Another note, Bruce played my favorite son - though I enjoy and love every song - "Dancing in the Dark" and "Jungleland."
I even met a couple from the North Bay (something like that) - 5 hours from here, north of Toronto. They (wife and husband) sat next to me and told me that this was their 15th Bruce Springsteen concert!! They were not 'old' per-say, they seemed to be in their 30s, no more than 40. What die hard fans, and I thought I was nuts over Bruce Springsteen. This was my first BOSS concert, and it was number 15 for the couple. Holy Shit! Yes, yes I know shit is not holy.

No comments: