Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Quiet American

So, I am reading another book for my English class, in which I will be given a quiz featuring some bizarre questions this friday. Three days to read this 189 page novel, but it is very doable. Wow, Lo Pan is inserting a long-ass needle in this chinese girl with green eyes. Oh, shit. Back to The Quiet American. Kung-fu kicking. Damn, there I go again.
Anyways.
I am at page 140 and so far this book has put a spell on you. No, no it hasn't. The novel is about a dude (no DUDE, a.k.a Lebowski) names Fowler, an English journalist, who meets an American, Alden Pyle, while reporting the Vietnam War. There is also a love triangle between Fowler, Fowler's 'mistress' Phoung and Pyle. Great novel so far.


Tuesday: p.12-100
Wednesday: p.101-150
Thursday: 150-189

Predictable ending. THe novel begins with the end, but quickly unravels the mystery and 'bloody' way of living during the Vietnam war. PLenty of dialogue. Plenty. I enjoyed the characters, Phoung (not much), Pyle (yup) and Fowler (yup): they were well developed except for Phoung.

No comments: